A little preparation goes a long way!
But how do you install epoxy resin garage flooring? Whether you're a seasoned epoxy resin veteran, or undertaking your first major epoxy resin renovation, this guide will help you install strong, beautiful floors.
How-To: Epoxy Resin Garage Flooring
Garage Flooring Surface Preparation for Epoxy Resin
Every contractor worth their weight knows surface preparation can't be neglected - at least not at your own risk. Without surface preparation, the chances of your floor failing are exponentially higher. The key to a durable, long-lasting epoxy resin finish is a well-prepared foundation ensuring strong adhesion to the concrete.
Here's the XPS-approved surface preparation process:
Level the Concrete:
- Smooth out unevenness in the concrete base for a sleek finish. It'll also guarantee that your resin solution doesn't stack up and cure unevenly!
- If you want a more detailed insight into using a mechanical grinder on a concrete floor, check out our guide to concrete floor polishing.
Clean the Concrete:
- Use a mild cleanser and warm water. All you need is a gentle scrub and mop. If you have more severe oil stains to take care of, check out our guide to dealing with them.
- Your goal isn't to make your concrete floor sterile, it's mostly to remove any large contaminants or debris from the installation area.
- Fix any cracks or damage for an even epoxy finish.
- Epoxy resin is the perfect crack repair solution for concrete. We've made a separate guide that'll take you through the repair process in more detail.
Roughen the Concrete:
- Grind the surface lightly to create the perfect foundation for the epoxy. Epoxy resin needs a surface it can hook into to create the strongest bond.
- Industry contractors have recommended acid etching for a long time, but recent experience and research has revealed that mechanical preparation is superior after all!
Install Your Epoxy Resin Garage Flooring System
Moisture Test & Barrier Application (Optional):
- Assess your floor's condition and test for moisture.
- Moisture isn't always immediately obvious, so if you live in a moist or humid climate, it's worth an extra test. Moisture could threaten the integrity of your epoxy resin into the future.
- If you do have excess moisture, there's a few different solutions. But, the most important is installing a moisture barrier layer.
- Apply a primer to further ready the surface. The more consideration your put into this preparation process, the stronger & more attractive the final result will be.
- The XPS store has a wide variety of incredibly high quality primers! This is the final layer before your epoxy resin system, so start off on the right foot.
- This is it! Take this stage slowly and carefully. Unless you're using a polyaspartic solution, you'll have a lot of time to make sure your resin settles exactly how you want it to.
- Apply two coats of resin to guarantee the strongest solution.
- Allow each coat to dry thoroughly, and apply any decorative additions before the base coat fully cures.
And there you have it!
You should be left with a perfectly sleek, just-how-you-want-it epoxy resin garage floor. If you're looking for the gold standard in garage flooring, look into installing a flake epoxy resin garage flooring system. No matter how you do it, enjoy your lasting and smooth epoxy floor.
Why Should I Install Epoxy Resin In My Garage Floor?
Epoxy resin has miraculously risen to the top of the flooring industry. But why is it held in such high regard?
It's simple! It's the most versatile solution on the market, and at a fraction of the cost and installation time of many of the alternatives. For contractors and flooring businesses, it's a no-brainer. But for homeowners - you're guaranteed a strong, long-lasting and beautiful floor with epoxy resin. Especially when you get a trustworthy veteran installer on the job!
Recommended Epoxy Resin Installation Products
Here at Xtreme Polishing Systems, we're dedicated to delivering the best flooring resources in the market to contractors and DIY enthusiasts at competitive rates. For your next flooring project, consider a few of these investments:
- 9565CV 5-inch Variable Speed Angle Grinder
- Concrete Genie Floor Grinder
- Rockhard Clear Coat T200
- Starter Concrete Grind & Polish Equipment Package
- XPS FC Fast Cure Epoxy Kit
- XPS ECTR Clear Epoxy Floor Coating Kit
Move up in the flooring world - don't get stuck with naked concrete, or outdated solutions. Learn to install epoxy resin floors and breathe new life into your garage! Contractors, DIY or just curious homeowners everywhere learn the beauty of epoxy resin every day. Don't get left behind, find out why epoxy resin is the solution of tomorrow, today!